Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Happy Birthday, Ben!

Today is Ben's birthday. He is fifteen! FIFTEEN! Can you believe it? I can't.
Sometimes it seems like it was a very short time ago that I was sitting on the couch with him drawing pictures and having him guess what I was drawing. (I think it was mainly when he was between 10 months and 2 years old when we'd spend a lot of time doing this....) I'd draw ten different kind of balls--he'd guess exactly the right one each time. I'd draw a bulldozer (one of his favorite things--along with steam shovels, and dumptrucks) and he'd yell, "Bull-doh-er!"
It seems like yesterday that he'd run up to me with his favorite books to read before naptime--he especially liked "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No good, Very Bad Day"--which he knew from start to finish, and if I stopped he'd finish the paragraph word for word from memory.
Wasn't it just a few weeks ago he ran up and down the sidewalk collecting leaves, pointing out birds, and caterpillars? When he held my hand as we walked to the library? When he was my favorite shopping partner, thrilled to sit in the cart or stroller, and look at all the sites around him in Target or the Mall?
When did he stop playing with Play-doh?
And when did he change from sitting on my hip, to now being able to pick me up? When did his smooth, soft baby skin turn into a rough, and sometimes stubbly surface? When did those muscles develop? When did his voice change into a deep baritone?
Of course, my little Benjabunny is still in there--he is still my little guy with the sweet disposition. (It might just be harder to find these days!) He still loves his mommy, although sometimes now he is actually looking after me, and opening doors for me, and helping me on with my jacket, instead of me doing those things for him. He still is goofy, and silly. He is still insightful--and amazes me with the things he observes that others seem to miss.
He is a wonderful, special child. And I love him!
This year will bring more changes for him, I am sure. (He reminded me last night that he now can get his driver's learning permit!--WHAT??) It is his first year in High School...and he has many things to learn and explore. He still has talents to discover, and ones already recognized to develop.

So, here's to you, Ben! Happy 15th Birthday! I pray that this next year is filled with many wonderful things for you. I pray that you are blessed in ways you can't imagine right now. Know you are loved muchly--by me, and MANY others.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Wow--15! And almost driving?! AAAAAAAAAA! That's crazy! Where does the time go?