Friday, September 21, 2007

full plate

More on the ongoing job opportunity saga...
Today I spoke with Nicole (the prego teacher) about when I could come observe in her classroom. Basically, ANYTIME my heart desires and my aide commitment allows, I can pop in there. Then she told me her last official day would be March 21st, as her C-section is planned for the 22nd. Then there would be Spring Break....and when we came back, the sub would take the class until the end of the year. She won't be back....except maybe the last day to show off the baby and to say good-bye. Well. the whole time she was talking to me, i felt like she assumed I was going to be the one in there. She told me that she wanted me in there for her last full two weeks before she leaves, so I can see their schedule from start to finish everyday. She also said--this will be great for you...as you will have the whole 4th quarter to yourself....you'll handle everything. (I was like, "well, it is not a done deal yet....I still have to interview, etc".) She said that she thinks that will be just a formality, as she said from how Chris (the principal) was speaking to her, she'd be shocked if it wasn't me in there.

I was surprised when I asked her how much she would be involved--honestly, I thought that even though she wasn't going to be there, that she would have a general set of "plans" for me to carry out. Nope! Looks like I am on my own, if I get the job. I'll do all the lesson planning, I will do all of the grading, i will do the report cards, I will be making all of the decisions, etc. It will literally be like I have my own classroom for the last quarter of the year. Whoa.

I definately need to talk with Michele Smith and ask her about her whole subbing experience. What was she surprised by? What was the hardest thing about it? How long did it take to feel settled in? ETC. I have so many questions. It is strange, because new teachers get this whole training induction period, where they are basically coddled through their first year. Everything is explained. I am not sure what to expect with this subbing thing. Hmmmmm......

I also have so much to prepare before the interview....my resume', my application needs to be completed (that thing is huge by the way)....I have to get some sort of portfolio together, get my classes out of the way. I am thinking I'll need to be done with BOTH classes before I start. Otherwise I will be too overloaded.

Wow. I am going to have a lot on my plate this year.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Very exciting! Once you get your resume, etc. done, that will be a load off. One step at a time, and you'll be on your way. :-)