Monday, December 17, 2007

this could have been BAD!

Okay-so today I was running late getting ready for work. Nathan was running behind (as usual), and I was focusing on getting him out the door, while also running around trying to straighten the house in case of a showing. No one had made their beds, so I was going room to room, making beds, picking up anything left out, etc. etc. Then I remembered I had to bring my Secret Santa gift today, since I wouldn't be able to attend the "reveal yourself" breakfast in the morning tomorrow. It hadn't been wrapped yet, and the card still needed to be written......and long story short, I left the house at 9:02am, when I am supposed to be there at 9 o'clock! So, I frantically grab all my things; the gift, card, mail for the mailbox, my purse, keys, my lunch, and a pop, and ran out the door.

As I was driving home today, I had this eerie feeling that I may have forgotten to blow out the candle I lit in our bedroom. Then I questioned whether I had even lit it this morning, because I always light it for about 15 minutes each day, while I am getting ready (so our house will smell fresh for any showings that day), but I didn't really remember doing that this morning. So, I decided I must have NOT lit it, because #1, with all of the back and forth into the rooms this morning, I should have noticed it....AND I didn't get called at school about our house being on fire. I made a mental note to be extra careful about that. I couldn't live with myself if I had burned our home down....especially with Emmy in it! The thought of it just makes me sick to my stomach.

ANYWAY--I got home, checked the mail, let out Emmy, and answered the phone when Matt called to wish me a Happy Birthday. Then I realized I smelled the candle. I quickly walked to my room, hoping to prove to myself that I only thought I smelled it.....but no---IT WAS STILL LIT!! I was amazed and sooooo very thankful that in the 6 1/2 hours I had been gone from my house, that a fire didn't start! There was a black sooty ring around the jar opening, (thankfully it was a jar type), and the wax was all liquid......but it hadn't set the room on fire.....and believe me, I was soooo thankful!

I have decided that it just isn't worth the risk to light candles in the morning---I am too absent minded apparently--especially when running late! We will have to settle on just the air fresheners from now on!!

4 comments:

deanna said...

Happy Birthday!!

Time to buy the air freshener in a can!! (or plug in!)

Hope it's a fun one=)

Kathryn said...

Happy Birthday, Kim!

Glad your candle story had a happy ending!

kerry said...

happy birthday kimmy! :o)

about the air fresheners...
the house we bought was vacant, so they had the plug in kind all througout the house...and it smelled SO good when we walked through. you won't even have to think about it! maybe try that?

kimsilver said...

Thanks girls!
We already have two "plug-ins". One in ben's room--for obvious reasons :0). And one in the downstairs rec room. Both are "fresh linen" scented. I didn't want to use anything too fruity, or anything that might be a scent someone didn't like. Fresh linen smells just like it sounds.....like someone just did laundry--fresh.
I suppose, we might just get a few more of those. I just didn't want to look like we had freshners all over because we were trying to Mask other odors. That is why we used candles (clean linen smell, too) to be more subtle. :0)