Friday, December 7, 2007

something new

I thought I'd share what Ben has decided to do. It totally cracks me up and surprises me. He has decided to join the school diving team! WHAT? (That's what I said!) The answer is......No, he has never attempted diving before. It is a BRAND NEW venture. I give him credit for doing something unknown. I suppose, if you can't do that as a Freshman, when can you do it?

Basically, the state champion swim team cannot compete unless they have a diving team, too. (or something like that.....) They do not have enough guys on the diving team apparently. Ben's PE teacher approached him last week and asked him if he would think about joining. He said "you are athletic--I think you could do this". Next thing you know.....he attends a practice, and is diving off the diving board, being coached on form! Can you believe that? I am just glad he is doing something else with his time that doesn't involve the computer or video games. You never know, maybe he will actually come to like it. Maybe he will even be good! In the meantime, I will try and not laugh at him wearing a Speedo. Ha! (Although, he informed me after practice today that there was a bit more coverage than the typical Speedo we were thinking of....thank god!)

Tomorrow he attends his first swim meet--he will not be competing....he will just be going for support. I just think this whole thing is very funny. I can't imagine he will score very well when he starts competing himself--like I said, he has never even gone off a diving board! (with the exception of a few cannonballs and bellyflops!).....I hope he has fun anyway. :0)

Wanna know something even funnier? One of the biggest reasons he thinks he'll like it is because there is no conditioning involved! After a year on Campton, he was done with conditioning for a while. All there is involved is repeated practice on form, and voluntary weight training before school 3 days a week. That is a huge difference than the exhausting conditioning he put in for Campton United Soccer!! It does seem like a fairly large time commitment though......hope he realizes that. ben has a habit of thinking something sounds good until he realizes the reality of it. I hope this isn't just one more thing he has us pay money for, and then wants to quit. I am waiting for him to find his niche. I hope he finds it soon. Maybe this is it, who knows?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOOOHOOOOO!! GO BEN!!!! i'm so excited to hear how he likes it! :o) i think that sounds fun...and i can totally see him doing it.

kimsilver said...

The swim meet was WAY loooong yesterday. He left the house at 9am, and wasn't home until well past 9pm! It was an all day event. He wasn't too keen on that. We are not sure if all meets are like that, or if this was one different than usual. We'll see....

Kathryn said...

It's great he's not afraid to try something new. Awesome.

Anonymous said...

I don't suppose Ben would model his speedo for the family,would he? Hehe! I'm so happy that he's trying something so different from the expected! Ben, we're so proud of you!